October 13, 2009

Homeless


Last night my brother called because he wanted to see if I could round up a sleeping bag for him. For those not up to date he is dual diagnosis (not sure if he is bi-polar or schizophrenic). He has been incarcerated for years off and on for violation of parole due to drug use. Anyways, he was staying with us as our mom passed away a little over a year ago and he was doing quite well. He slipped up and my husband said he had enough. My husband was his payee for a couple of years off and on. He is having to reapply for Social Security and is getting temporary checks. Of course he takes the checks, buys a few nights of a motel room and spends the rest on drugs, etc. He has no concept of money, whatsoever. Anyways, he is a sweet soul and I love him very much despite the crap he has put me through and himself through. I took him a sleeping bag and bought him some hot food, gave him a coat, cried a lot. He came by my work today at lunch and I gave him a sandwhich and chips. It is raining and windy, terrible weather suddenly here. I took him to mental health and they directed us to some other angency and I had to drop him off, it is quite a ways from town. No housing available, no shelter here. Please blogger friends, pray that the Lord will provide the right people in my brother's path. I am struggling so much with this and I know he is so scared. I know he has made poor choices and lots of times I use the mental illness to excuse him. I just love him and want him to have shelter.

7 comments:

kristi said...

I am so sorry. I can't imagine how hard that is.

Sherry said...

I just said a prayer for your brother and you!!

Bar L. said...

Your feelings for your brother are totally understandable, he's blessed to have a loving sister. Its heartbreaking. I hope that anyone who judges homeless people runs across your blog and can get a better understanding of WHY this happens to some people. Its often just a hopeless and complication situation. I hope and pray he can find shelter and some peace.

Anonymous :) said...

I pray your brother finds peace, love, wisdom and healing and that something miraculous happens in his life. My brother also was homeless, a drug addict. He slept on benches and rode on a rusty bike hoping to find pennies. He's a healed man today. It's never too late.

Annette said...

((HUG)) Praying...

Me said...

I understand the love and the hope.

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

Thank you all for your comments. He has an appointment with a case manager from mental health on Monday and was able to see a psych with my help and get meds. We let him stay with us last night. I am just going to keep praying about it. Thank you all so much for you prayers as well, I am blessed.